Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Brief Testimony

I guess I should start off with a little about myself and how I became a Mormon.

I am a stroke survivor. Four years ago, I had an aneurysm at the base of my brain that should have killed me. I spent Three weeks in Intensive Care in the Cleveland Clinic, followed by four weeks in a rehab facility.

I remember very little of my time in the Clinic. Most of what I do remember is hazy and filled with pain. However, there is one bright, shining vision that still stands out clearly to me, even if I don't remember all the words spoken there. It has been a guide to me, and the Spirit has let me know when I am on the right path.

I saw My dad, who had died in September that year, as well as my uncle, who had died in August the previous year. They were in a bright, happy place, in good shape, smiling and laughing. My dad spoke to me, while my uncle did not. What I retained from the experience was a sense that Paradise is real, and that I should look to find a church and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

I'm a procrastinator, so I really didn't look all that hard. But I grew up Catholic, and had been to services of MANY different denominations. I NEVER thought I would walk through the door of one of those crazy LDS churches.

 Then, last year, I met a woman who introduced me to the Book of Mormon. I thought it was interesting at first. Then I read Alma 40:11-12. It spoke of Spirit Paradise, and when I read, the Spirit yelled at me, "DO YOU REMEMBER!?!" and I thought, "I've BEEN there!" I knew then that I was going to be a Mormon. Though, doctrinally speaking, I'm actually just returning to the Church!

I attended my first Sacrament meeting on June 2, 2013 and I was hooked. Everything I learned about the Church confirmed things I had believed even before I had investigated. I was a Mormon and didn't know it!

I prayed about the Promise of Moroni, and as an answer, I lost 40 pounds in three months without even dieting or being sick.

On 23 November 2013, I was baptized and I have to say, I love being a Mormon as much as I hated being a Catholic. To me, Catholicism was a dead religion, where God had stopped talking to us 2000 years ago. Mormonism teaches that God speaks to us today, that we can ask him for help and guidance, that he loves us and takes an active role in our lives if we will let him.

I love that.

The Spirit has guided me and comforted me along the way. The Adversary fights for our souls every step of the way and he has made my life very difficult since I have found Christ's Church, but I have the Liahona that is the Book of Mormon, as well as the Molten Stones provided by the Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price and, of course, the Holy Bible to give me direction and find my way.

This is a Church unlike any other. I accept and believe that the Book of Mormon is True, and accepting that requires that I believe Joseph Smith to be a True Prophet of God, which leads into believing that the Church he set up is the true restored Church of Jesus Christ with all that entails.

These things I know to be True, and I will try to share some of my insights and thoughts with any who would like to discuss.

In the Sacred Name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment